During the summer, nothing beats a nice cold fruit salad on a hot day! The problem is that fruit isn’t exactly satisfying on its own. Kids, especially, will be yelling, “Mom, I’m hungry!” not long after eating. So what if a fruit salad wasn’t just a fruit salad? What if you could add a superfood like Quinoa to it?
Whole grains like quinoa provide essential vitamins, minerals and fiber, which help to regulate the digestive system and to keep you fuller and more satisfied.
¼ cup unsweetened, dried coconut flakes
¼ cup slivered almonds
1 tsp coconut oil
3 ripe kiwis, peeled, sliced and diced
1 cup diced strawberries
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1 cup sweet grapes, halved
½ cup fresh pineapple chunks (or 1/3 cup fresh pineapple juice)
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Add water and quinoa to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 12. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes to complete cooking. Then remove lid and allow to cool completely. Once it is cool to the touch you can put in refrigerator to completely cool.
- In a sauté pan, heat coconut oil. Add almonds and coconut flakes. Stir frequently for 1-3 minutes or until coconut takes on a light brown color. Remove from heat and put in separate bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss the quinoa, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple and grapes together.
- Blend ½ cup fresh pineapple (or juice), lime juice and avocado in a blender or food processor.
- Pour dressing over quinoa and fruit. Stir to combine. Set in the refrigerator until chilled.
- When serving: sprinkle each bowl with the coconut/almond topping right before serving.
Let us know what you think or what modifications you came up with! Thank you for sharing!