|Future Browns Fan!!|
On Sundays (and Saturdays) we are usually gathered around the t. v. for most of the day so we need easy finger foods that can be easily brought out anytime of the day. One of my favorites is salsa! I LOVE spending Friday night (after the kids are in bed) with my husband making salsa! Make it Friday and it is ready for Sunday! Easy, healthy snack that can be pulled out anytime during game day!
Want something hot? Try these Chipotle Turkey Meatballs!!
Chipotle Turkey Meatballs
• 1 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
• 1 organic egg
• 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce,
• ½ cup cooked brown basmati rice including 1 tbsp sauce
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• ½ cup finely diced white onion
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
1. In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg, rice, onion, and sea salt. Mix well and form
into 10-12 balls. Cover and place in refrigerator while you prepare the sauce.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine chicken broth, tomato sauce, chipotle chiles
and sauce, and garlic. Blend until mixture is smooth.
3. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan and add meatballs and bay leaf. Bring to a boil,
then reduce heat to low and simmer. Cover saucepan and cook meatballs in the
sauce, stirring occasionally to ensure coverage, until they’re cooked through, about 25
minutes. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro when ready to serve.
• You can use canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (check ingredients) or make
your own. Combine 12-15 dried chipotle chiles (stemmed and seeds removed),
with 3 cups water, ½ medium sweet onion (diced), 6 tbsp organic ketchup, ½ tsp
sea salt, 2 cloves garlic (diced), and 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar in a covered
saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 1 hour,
stirring occasional or until liquid reduces to about a cup.
Another favorite is Hummus. Check out The Health Edge Cookbook for four different Hummus recipes and many more easy, healthy appetizers perfect for Sunday gatherings!
What is your favorite Football Team and healthy Game Day snack??