Speak Another Language?

Friday, May 3, 2013

Growing Healthy Kids


As a parent, I am always looking for quick and healthy ways to get veggies into my kid’s diet.  My Bowen loves eggs!  I am so thankful for that!  So lately I have been throwing his veggies right into his eggs!   This is a wonderful way to introduce new foods to your children’s diets.  Take a food they already love and add foods that you love to see them eat! Today I picked his favorite so far.  This is a very simple dish full of nutrients and best of all super quick!  

It has been so important with both of my children to constantly have them try new foods and more importantly new textures.  It is very easy to just serve foods we as parents are familiar with but in doing so we are creating little clones of ourselves and our beliefs. 

Use your child's favorite fruits in their salads!
Growing up I always heard, “the kids won’t eat that” or, “the kids don’t like salads”.  Salads were considered "grown up food", not food you would give a child.  I carried around this belief my whole life and didn’t start enjoying salads until I was older.  When Arleena was about 5 she saw me eating a salad and asked for a bite… it was a salad with avocado, tomatoes, tuna and spinach and she loved it… That broke through my belief about salads not being for kids and I started incorporating creative salads for lunch and dinner.  I use a chopper to give Bowen a finely shredded salad.  Also, when I was growing up a salad consisted of iceberg lettuce with a little cheddar cheese and ranch dressing.  Today, salads at my house are healthy and full of things my kids already love, just combined together.  This may seem like a little thing, but what foods do you not feed your kids because you don’t like them or you believe your kids will not like them?  I challenge you to try more flavors in your family so you can grow up kids that are comfortable with healthy!!!

Same thing with eggs… how often do we just add the cheese because it is what we have always done?  Look in your fridge and start shredding some veggies and trying new things with your eggs.  Your kids just might find a new favorite omelet!  And you may find yourself a new favorite way to make healthy eating easy!

Ingredients:

1 cup spinach
4 Cherry Tomatoes
2 eggs
Olive Oil
Vegan Cheddar Cheese


Step #1: Use a chopper or knife to finely chop 1 cup of spinach and four cherry tomatoes

Step #2: Wisk up 2 eggs and add spinach and tomatoes and mix up.

Step #3: Preheat a small pan on medium high heat and spray with Olive Oil

Step #4: Add egg mixture and cover.  Once it starts bubbling on top flip over and sprinkle cheese on top and shut off heat.  Cover until cheese melts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More