Speak Another Language?

Friday, August 2, 2013

Breaded Zucchini Bites

This is the season for zucchini.  If you have a plant of your own, you know how plentiful your crop can be. So what do you do with all of your extras?  Of course it is always nice to share the bounty with family and friends, but it is also a good idea to preserve what you can for use later in the year.

I recently made four loaves of Zucchini Bread.  I left two out and wrapped two up tightly in Saran wrap, then put into freezer bags and froze them for a later time.  I also shred two of my "monster" zucchinis and put enough to make a batch of bread into a freezer bag, squeezed out all excess air, sealed the bag and put them in the freezer to save for this winter.

While looking for something new to do with zucchini for dinner, I came across a recipe for zucchini fries.  Of course they used ingredients that aren't necessarily "Healthy Edge", so I had to come up with an alternate plan to replicate these delicious finger foods.  The kids loved them, even my daughter's friend who says she does not eat zucchini tried them and gave me the thumbs up!  Feel free to play with the seasonings that go into the breading to fit your taste.  Enjoy!

Breaded Zucchini Bites

Ingredients
2-3 Zucchini (depending on size and quantity you want to make)
1 cup whole oats, ground in food processor
1/2 cup almonds, ground in food processor
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 organic egg, beaten


Step One: Cut up your zucchini.  I tried two different ways when cutting my bits.  I sliced one zucchini, about 1/4 inch thick.  The other one I cut in half, then split those pieces in half and sliced it thinly to resemble fries.

 
Step Two:  Mix your ground oats, ground almonds, pepper, salt, cumin and garlic powder in a bag or a bowl.

Step Three:  Dip your zucchini pieces into the egg, then into the breading mixture and place on a greased baking sheet.

Step Four:  Bake in a pre-heated, 450 degree oven for 14 minutes.  Serve warm.

We hope you enjoy this recipe and let us know what you think or what else you added for seasonings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More