Speak Another Language?

Monday, January 13, 2014

Green Morning Smoothie

We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  The meal that gets your body started and ready for whatever your day holds in store for you. But what are you fueling your body with to prepare it for the day?

I was always nervous about making green smoothies. I thought they wouldn't taste good, my kids will never touch them, I don't have the time to make them, and so on and so on. But I realize now, that these were the excuses I was making in my head, to keep me from putting forth a little extra effort, to give my kids and myself a nutritious and delicious jump start in the morning.

Once I bought the ingredients and committed to making a green smoothie each morning for a week, I didn't let that little voice in my head hold me back. My first one was a success and I was hooked! As the days went on, and I got into more of a routine, my kids started to get curious.  My son was the first to crack and ask for some.  I gave him a little glass full and he LOVED it.  He asked for more and that was it, he was hooked.  My daughter was slower to come around, but as she watched me and my son have our morning smoothies, she finally started to ask for some and now she has a small glass each morning with her breakfast. The one year old that I babysit even loves them!    

I did not force my kids to try them, I let them decide on their own.  I didn't hide ingredients from them, I let them watch what I put into it, and I let them take turns pushing the button, or peeling the banana, or getting me other ingredients.  Not once did they mention anything negative about what went into it. I realized that the negative thoughts I had around green smoothies, was all in my head.  

Green Morning Smoothie

Spinach - handful
Kale - 2 big leaves
1 banana
1/2 a (sweet) pear (also try apple, peach, mango)
4-5 frozen strawberries
1/2 lemon (peeled)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp ground flax seed
8 oz water
*pinch of cayenne if you like a little kick


Add all ingredients to a blender, blend until smooth.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More