Speak Another Language?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Watermelon & Strawberry Smoothies


A couple of weeks ago, me and my husband picked the remaining watermelons in the garden.  Now, the question of what to do with them all!  Unfortunately, when buying our plants this spring we did not get seedless and wow do these watermelons have a lot of seeds!!  My kids are not big fans of the picking out seeds and neither am I!  This is probably the reason that it doesn’t get eaten very fast and all of a sudden I find myself wondering what to do with it!  So starts my search for ways to use the rest of our homegrown watermelon. Two of them I made into watermelon bowls and took them to parties we were invited to. I used cantaloupe with the watermelon for the filling. They were a big hit!  Time consuming but worth it!

Today I got my big bowl of watermelon (that is getting to the point where I need to use it up) and started getting all the seeds out and chunking it up.  Then I found a smoothie recipe to try.  It was a hit with my daughter!

Watermelon & Strawberry Smoothie

    1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    1 1/2 cups diced watermelon
    1/4 cup cream (I used whole milk)
    1/4 cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons orange juice (I used lemon juice)
    1 tablespoon white sugar (I did NOT use)
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

    Blend the strawberries, watermelon, cream, yogurt, orange juice, sugar, and vanilla in a blender until smooth.

I did not have any orange juice so I used lemon juice and I left out the sugar.  I thought this was very good and my daughter loved it!  I have three more watermelons waiting to be cut open.  This time when I tackle the job I am going to spend the extra time de-seeding it right away.  That way I can have a quick snack for the kids or easily whip up a smoothie breakfast on those hectic school mornings!  

Any suggestions for using the remaining three watermelons??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More