Speak Another Language?

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Broccoli and Chicken Casserole: Healthy Option for a Pre-Made Meal

My angel helping mommy!
Does anyone else have a hectic day?  You know, the one day during the week that you dread the most!  For me it is Wednesdays!  This is the day that I have to have my daughter to preschool by 8:30, pick her up at 11:00, then straight to the library for story and craft time until 12:30.  After that is a quick lunch, lay my 2 year old down for a nap and hope he wakes up by 3:15 in a good mood because...my daughter has gymnastics at 4:00 followed by her very first soccer game, which I volunteered to help coach which means first one there and last one to leave. For days like these I like to have a simple game plan for dinner.   That is why I just make it on Tuesday night, my one of two nights during the week where I have no running around to do.  


This casserole is a tiny bit time consuming (but honestly, what dinner isn't) but overall very easy and my kids LOVED it which is a big bonus for me! I made it the night before and while I was being Soccer Coach for my daughter's team, my husband was walking into the house to a very BIG note explaining in GREAT detail, how to get dinner in the oven. And when we got home...dinner was ready and waiting for us!

And, I must admit that as I am sitting here typing this out, I am eating the leftovers of this casserole!  Yummy, even better the next day!!

Broccoli and Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:
 1 1/2 lbs organic skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups cooked quinoa
3 cups fresh broccoli florets (see below)
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 cups organic Greek style plain yogurt
1 tsp
curry powder
2 tsp prepared white mustard
3 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp fresh basil leaves, chopped (1 tsp dried)
1 cup organic shredded cheddar blend cheese (cheddar, Colby, Monterey jack)
  • Step 1: Place the broccoli in a steamer or shallow saucepan with water for a few minutes to slightly cook.  Remove from heat; allow to cool before cutting broccoli into small pieces.
  • Step 2: Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook on one side for approximately 5 minutes.  Flip chicken over; add the onions and saute along with chicken for another 5 minutes.  Turn off heat. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a cutting board to cool.  When cooled, cut chicken into 1 inch cubes.
  • Step 3: Combine the yogurt, curry powder, mustard, lemon juice and basil leaves in a medium bowl and mix well.
  • Step 4: Add one cup quinoa to the bottom of a lightly oiled 9x13 inch baking dish.  Layer 1/3 of broccoli, onions, chicken and yogurt mixture.  Repeat this procedure in the same order two additional times.  Sprinkle cheese evenly over top of mixture.
  •  
  • Step 5: Cover with foil and either store in refrigerator for a easy next night meal or and bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes.
 Growing up, if my mom was making a casserole, it more than likely had a cream of something soup in it.  I want to provide my kids with casseroles that are made with more whole foods that I can feel good about putting into their growing bodies rather than ones that plop out of a can in the same shape as the can. What is your favorite way to dodge the cream of... in your favorite casseroles?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More