Brian and I love eggs and will use eggs as an option for breakfast, lunch and dinner (not all in one day of course). When it comes to dinner, eggs can be a simple and quick meal when you forgot to go to the grocery store on your way home from work or if you just want to feed your family a hearty high protein meal, but you need it to be easy.
This is a recipe that I threw together in less than 15 minutes and it fed us for dinner and breakfast the next morning. I love the combination of eggs, sweet potatoes and black beans to create a “stick to your ribs” kind of high protein meal.
We topped this with our favorite Vegan cheese, Daiyaâ, (due to my dairy allergy) and we love to add hot sauce to our eggs. You could also serve this dish with steamed broccoli or asparagus or a fruit salad. You can serve this in a corn tortilla for dinner or for a breakfast or lunch burrito.
· ¼ sweet onion, finely chopped
· 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
· 1 ½ cup organic black beans
· 5-6 organic eggs
· 2 Tbsp. organic milk or milk substitute
· 1 tsp. thyme
· ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
· 2 Tbsp. olive oil
· Shredded cheese or vegan cheese substitute (optional)
1. Heat olive oil, sweet potato, onions, garlic, thyme and black pepper in skillet over medium high heat until sweet potatoes and onions are soft. Stir often.
2. Crack eggs in bowl and add milk. Whisk until well blended.
3. Add black beans and eggs to skillet. Reduce heat to medium.
4. Cook until eggs are cooked through.
5. Top with shredded cheese and/or hot sauce and serve.
For more ideas for simple whole food recipes and high protein meals, we love The Healthy Edge Cookbook. They also offer four free recipes if you would like to see what the cookbook is all about.