Are you ready to add a little excitement to your turkey and sweet potato leftovers? What if I told you that you could actually transform your turkey leftovers into something that was as good for you as it tasted? Well, look no more! The Healthy Edge has the perfect recipe for those turkey and sweet potato leftovers that will be kind to your waist and cause you to salivate once more for your holiday leftovers!
Here’s what you will need for these fabulous Leftover Turkey Cakes! If you have a gluten allergy, be sure the whole rolled oats are labeled as gluten-free. If you are dairy-free, we suggest using a vegan cheese (we love Daiya) in place of the organic shredded cheddar cheese!
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped cooked leftover turkey
- 2 cups mashed and cooked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- ½ cup organic shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
1. Heat ½ olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté for approximately 5 minutes or until tender.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add onions, garlic, turkey, sweet potatoes, oats, cheese, green onions, thyme, salt, and pepper. Combine until thoroughly mixed. Divide mixture into 4 or 5 equal portions and shape each into 3/4 inch patties.
3. In the same skillet used to cook the onions and garlic, add remaining olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add patties to skillet; cook each side for approximately 4-5 minutes.
This recipe also works FABULOUS with leftover chicken! You may substitute 2 cups sliced mushrooms for the sweet onions or add 1 cup sliced mushrooms in addition to sweet onions. The best way to create the patties is to wash your hands, roll up your sleeves and use your bare hands to shape mixture into desired number of patties. Eat by themselves, or serve on sprouted whole grain bread with Dijon mustard and your favorite toppings! For more recipes that are healthy, low-glycemic and delicious like these Turkey Leftover Cakes, click here!