Speak Another Language?

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Breakfast Quinoa!

I came across this idea for Quinoa while looking for new breakfast ideas.  I get so tired of making the same things over and over again and this idea defiantly caught my eye, and I just had to try it.

I was a little nervous about it because my kids are not a big fan of Quinoa but decided to try it anyways.  I thought that by making it in a sweet way, they might forget, or not know that it was Quinoa.

Breakfast Quinoa

Ingredients:

1/4 cup chopped raw almonds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup quinoa
2 cups organic milk or milk substitute of your choice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon honey
1/3 cup raisins chopped (or a dried fruit of your choice such as dates or apricots)


Directions:
  1. Toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until just golden, 3 to 5 minutes.  Set aside.
  2. Heat the cinnamon and quinoa together in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through.  Add the milk to saucepan and stir.  Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover.  Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.  ( be sure to keep an eye on it at this stage.  I noticed mine wanted to boil over so I tipped the lid a tiny bit and this kept it under control.)
  3.  When done simmering, stir in the vanilla, honey, raisins and half of the almonds.   When serving, top with remaining almonds.

 
I was surprised at how the taste of this resembled oatmeal!  
My kids loved it and I enjoyed it as well.  
My son asked if I could cut up a banana for him 
to put in it and this made it even better!  

Hope you enjoy
Let us know what you think below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More