1. Watermelon is rich in lycopene, which has been shown in many studies to be protective against a growing list of cancers. Lycopene also protects against heart disease and protects our DNA inside white blood cells.
2. B Vitamins are abundant in the watermelon, a vitamin critical for energy production. Watermelon also delivers more nutrients per calorie, as it is so water dense, making it an outstanding fruit to consume both pre- and post- exercise
3. Half a watermelon gives you over 12,000 IU's of vitamin A! Exactly the recommended amount of daily vitamin A intake. Vitamin A helps keep your eyes, skin and mucous membranes moist. It also has antioxidant properties that neutralize free radicals in the body that cause tissue and cellular damage.
4. Improves our body's defense system via high concentrations of vitamin C, an important antioxidant that helps ward off illness and helps our bodies combat the daily pollution and environmental stress it is exposed to.
5. Watermelons contain citrulline, a compound that helps relax blood vessels of the body, similar to when a man takes viagra. This effect is also beneficial to the heart, circulatory and immune system.
As I was searching for different ways to use up my extra watermelon, I found a recipe for a Watermelon Salsa! When I was going through the ingredient list, I was very curious as to what it would taste like. I just so happened to have everything on the list so I gave it a try and I am very glad I did. I think this will be a new favorite in my house and a perfect side to take to any function!
Water Melon Salsa
8 cups cubed seeded watermelon
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 large white onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers – stems & seeds removed, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white wine vinegar (I used white vinegar)
1 teaspoon salt
Stir the watermelon, cilantro, onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, vinegar, and salt together in a bowl until evenly mixed. Cover, and refrigerate overnight for best flavor.
So easy and so good!! After two nights of eating this with chips, I wondered if I could find a healthier way to eat it. I decided to try it as a dressing over a bed of spinach. It was so good! I can’t wait to cut up my other watermelons so I can make another batch!! This is a must try!!
Anyone have any other watermelon recipes??