As Summer comes to an end and Fall begins, our meal plans tend to shift also. Instead of grilling out on hot days, we like to bring out the crock pot and let the aroma of what we are cooking fill the house. The Healthy Edge Online Community offers many crock pot recipes that will have your family counting down the seconds until dinner time!
This is a recipe that was formed by using ingredients we had on hand. Most are staples that we always have in our refrigerator or pantry! Feel free to season as you like and enjoy!
Quinoa and Chicken Crock Pot
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1 can organic black beans
1 can organic garbanzo beans
2 cans organic diced tomatoes
1 sweet onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic
6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut into small pieces
2 tsp.sea salt
Seasonings to taste (This depends on your preference; we used 1 Tbsp or more of each of the following. You can add more seasonings as you taste the dish after the chicken is fully cooked.)
Basil, Paprika, Thyme, Red Pepper Flakes, Coriander, Black Pepper
1. Put 1 Tbsp. olive oil in the bottom of crock pot. Use paper towel to spread.
2. Lay chicken thighs on the bottom of the crock pot.
3. Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, onions, carrots, sea salt, garlic and spices.
4. Cook on high for three hours.
5. Stir to break up chicken thighs. Add quinoa. Let cook for additional 30 minutes.
6. Turn crock pot to "warm" or "low" and add black bean, garbanzo beans and green bell pepper.
7. Let sit until ready to eat.
This is amazing to add hot sauce too or Greek Style Yogurt as a topping.