Speak Another Language?

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake

Do you ever get tired of eating the SAME thing for breakfast day after day?  Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my oatmeal, eggs and smoothies, but sometimes I crave something different.  With the winter months approaching, it is a definite plus so introducing a new breakfast option that warms the belly! While searching for something to satisfy my craving for a change, I came across a recipe for Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake.  Now I have experimented with Quinoa for breakfast before with a Breakfast Quinoa Bowl, and had much success.  So when I found this easy bake that can be prepared on a Sunday evening, and enjoyed all week long, I had to try it.

The house smelled delicious as it cooked and I couldn’t help but have a taste rather than wait for the morning.  I must warn you, that straight out of the oven, it was pretty crumbly, but wow was it delicious! The morning after I rushed the kids out the door to the awaiting school bus, I cut myself a nice piece of this delicious breakfast bake, warmed it up in the microwave for a few seconds and that’s it…instant breakfast!

This would be an amazing breakfast to serve to family or friends that join your for holiday festivities! Prepared the night before, it can be a welcoming aroma when guests arrive and a delicious treat to enjoy with your  loved ones!  Enjoy!

Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Bake

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
2-3 apples, peeled, diced
½ cup raisins
2 eggs
2 cups milk of choice
¼ cup maple syrup or honey
1/3 cup almonds, chopped

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 7 x 11 inch baking dish with coconut oil.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the uncooked quinoa with the spices.  Pour into greased dish.
  3. Sprinkle the apple and raisins on top of the quinoa.
  4. In that same small bowl, beat the eggs.  Whisk in the milk and maple syrup.
  5. Pour the egg-and-milk mixture over the top of the fruit and quinoa.  Lightly stir to partially submerge the fruit.  Sprinkle the chopped almonds on top.
  6. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the casserole is mostly set with only a small amount of liquid left.
  7. Allow to cool, and then cover and refrigerate.  In the morning, cut a square and warm up using the microwave.  Try serving with a few dollops of Greek yogurt for an added treat!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More