Speak Another Language?

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal


This morning I decided to experiment with oatmeal and try to get my daughter to like it more.  I have let her make her own creations with it, and she will eat it, but she still fights me on it every time we have it.  The best healthy meals I can give my kids are the ones they enjoy, not the ones I have to convince them to eat. So I decide to try something different this morning.  

Baked Oatmeal Casserole with Blueberries
Makes 12 Servings
Save or Print Recipe

2 cups whole rolled oats
½ cup chopped raw, unsalted almonds
2 cups milk (or almond milk)
½ tsp pure vanilla
1 large unpeeled organic red apple, grated
½ - 1 cup blue berries
4 tbsp pure maple syrup or brown rice syrup (I had neither so I used honey)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Pour into a lightly greased (with olive oil cooking spray) casserole dish or baking pan. Bake uncovered 30 – 45 min


Thumbs up from the daughter!


My house smelled absolutely amazing with this cooking in the oven!!  I divided the leftovers into two containers, with enough for two servings.  Now I have breakfast done for the next two days.  I can’t wait to try different combinations.  My daughter is excited about trying bananas and strawberries.  




Oatmeal is such a wonderful way to start your morning and I am always looking for new ideas. How do you like your oatmeal?  

2 comments:

  1. We have oatmeal most mornings too! We rotate between the gluten free rolled oats and the steel cut oats. Our favorite way to eat them is by cooking them with cinnamon and vanilla extract in the water with a little sea salt. Once cooked, we add frozen blueberries and raspberries, some more cinnamon (kids love it!), organic apple sauce, almond or coconut milk and raw pecans! Delicious!

    Cooking the oatmeal with apple chunks is another delicious version that we have from time to time (see recipe in The Healthy Edge Cookbook).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good, I'm going to give it a try. New ideas are always helpful and welcomed. I like to use oat bran, or oatmeal, and I cook it with water then I add cinnamon and coconut milk (Thai Kitchen canned coconut milk - regular not lite) and then a little agave nectar and sometimes a drop or two of Sweet Leaf Vanilla Stevia. Oh, the other day my husband decided to add 1/2 a scoop of Chocolate Nutrimeal to a 1/2 cup of cooked oat bran. Everybody liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More