Speak Another Language?

Monday, September 17, 2012

Help! I Need to Trade In Some Junk Food!

School is back in session and as I watch my child get on the bus and leave for the day I just pray that she will be safe and or course pleasant to her teacher all day. It can be very sad to sit and realize how little control I have around my child's behavior on the bus or at school for the day. However, I do know one thing I have control over with my kids... FOOD! I have control over what they eat for breakfast, lunch, after school and dinner! HOW? You might ask. Because I am the one buying the groceries! I don't know how many times I have taken my kids to the grocery store and hear "Can we get this?" or "Mommy, so and so's mom puts cookies in her lunch!".  This use to bother me and I would usually give in.  Until I learned a very wonderful word, "NO!"  And when the big "WHY?" comes, without hesitation I say because I love you and that's the end of it. 


So much of the junk food that our children consume happens because we let it.  When you bring home chips, ice cream, pop, etc. you are enabling your kids to eat unhealthy.  But when you set up a "Safe Environment" for them, they eat foods that are going to benefit there growth (physically and mentally), energy level and attitude.  And it also makes those Friday night ice cream runs more special.  Without it in the house, the kids will be jumping for joy at the chance to go out and have family time while enjoying a special treat.  Why is it a special treat?  Because it is not available to them whenever they want.

Here are a few Snack Replacement Ideas.

Water                                    instead of        Pop  (Cheaper and Healthier)
Nuts/Raisins                           instead of        Crackers 
Homemade Popsicles              instead of        Ice Cream
Stovetop Popcorn                   instead of        Microwave Popcorn
Oatmeal Power Scoops           instead of        Cookies
Homemade No-Bake Bars       instead of        Store Bought Bars
Carrots with Hummus or     
Celery with Peanut butter        instead of        Chips and dip

For more after school snack ideas, SuperSupper Meal Plans and more, join The Healthy Edge's Subscription FREE for 14 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More